Saturday, August 18, 2012

Forgotten Chicken

Lately, thanks to Pinterest, we have been trying a bunch of new recipes. I have been eager to get out of the same ole meal rut and am trying to plan weekly meals now. This helps us to eat a more healthy, well-rounded meal versus the last minute search for food. Today I made a meal that I would call a success for a number of reasons: 
1. The prep was easy and fast
2. It had a side dish built right into the meal
3. I could throw it in the oven during nap and it was ready for dinner
4. The girls ate it!

It is called Forgotten Chicken 
(click the link for the recipe)

I text this picture to Cody and he wrote me back "is it supposed to look like that?"

Now don't judge the picture because 1. I took it with my phone  2. I used 1/2 the chicken it said which made the onion soup mix more prominent per breast & 3. It tastes great!

The original link to this recipe shows 6 chicken breasts (which would make too much for our family) so I used 3 and it was more than enough. For my girls I scraped off the onion soup mix topping before serving it so it didn't look "brown" but still had flavor. There is no way I'd be able to get Reese to eat brown chicken. I served the kids with dipping ranch, carrot sticks and salad (yes, they both LOVE salad and actually finished the salad 1st). I ate my chicken & rice also with a salad. It was good! The girls ate all their chicken and never once complained about the onion flavor. I may cut the packet of onion soup mix in 1/2 next time for the reduced amount of chicken breast but wouldn't hesitate to make it again. 

I cooked mine at 250 degrees for 2 hours then 275 for 1 hour but it would have been fine (and cooked) at 250 for the full 3 hours. 

Hope you enjoy!


No comments: